Thursday, October 8, 2009

Our Part

I heard a crazy statistic the other day that really bothered me. It went a little something like this: There are approximately 140 million orphans in the world. If you stood them shoulder to shoulder on the equator, they would wrap around the earth 3 times. If you drove your car at 60 mi/hr it would take you a month to drive past all of the orphans. Then the speaker asked a really good question, "Will you stop the car to help one orphan?" This challenge comes shortly after hearing another statistic that went something like this: If just 3 families from every church in California would adopt a foster child, every child in California would have a family. There would be no more need for the foster care system. What amazed me about that was how easy it seemed to me. Just 3 families!!! What if Churches in every state got on board. We could effectively wipe out the need for foster care and orphanages in the United States. Then it dawned on me that there are somewhere in the ballpark of 2 billion people in the world who "claim" to be Christian. Then I asked myself the question, "Why are there still orphans in the world."
My friend, I would like to encourage you to think about what part you can play in changing the life of an orphan. If you have never considered adoption, would you think about it? If adoption is not an option, would you at least consider sponsoring a child through Compassion International or World Vision. Together we can make a difference, one child at a time.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. --James 1:27

No comments: